This cake goes down a real treat with chocolate-loving little valentines. Easy to make which means little fingers can be part of the stirring and pouring. In our family it’s sometimes called “chocolate pancake” because the mix itself is so yummy there’s often not more than enough to make a pancake when it’s time to go in the oven!
220g granulated sugar
0,5-1 tsp vanilla essence
3 tbsp cocoa
200g plain flour
Since it’s Valentine’s Day we use a silicone heart-shaped oven cake tin, but normally we would use a round cake tin with removable edge.
1. Pre-heat the oven at 175°C.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan or in the microwave oven at about 400W, then leave to cool.
3. Stir by hand or use an electric whisk on low speed to mix the eggs and sugar until fluffy.
4. Add vanilla essence and coca. Keep whisking on low speed unless you are stirring manually.
5. Add the flour.
6. Add the melted butter and blend carefully until combined.
7. Pour the mix into the greased cake tin and bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes. If you wish a slightly muddier consistency take the cake out earlier.
Leave to cool until serving, then sprinkle with icing sugar and berries, or any other decoration you fancy. Serve with a bit of whipped cream or ice-cream if you want otherwise it’s perfectly good on its own. Especially if there’s only a thin “pancake” left.
Words and Images by Linnea