This is an excellent easy-to-make Friday treat and a perfect after-school activity that allows the kids to get their
What You Will Need:
100 grams butter at room temperature
100 grams sugar
110 grams fine rolled oats
1 tbsp powdered vanilla sugar (if you can’t find this, just use vanilla flavoured normal sugar or simply flavour with
3 tbsp cocoa powder
2-3 tbsp water
Decoration: coconut flakes or colourful sugar strands
What To Do:
- Mix the butter (must be room temperature) with sugar to a smooth mix.
- Add the oats, cocoa powder, vanilla sugar (if available) and water. Mix until you have a smooth and sticky chocolate brown mix. (The kids love this part and, not surprisingly, plenty of the mix ends up straight in their mouths…)
- Cover the bottom of a round bowl with coconut flakes or sugar strands (any colour and/or flavour).
- Form little round balls of the mix by rolling it gently between your palms. If the mix is very sticky, let it set in the fridge for a while, or add a bit more rolled oats.
- Roll the balls in the coconut flakes or sugar strands until covered all round.
- Let the finished result rest in the fridge for a couple of hours for best taste. (These yummy treats last for about 3 weeks in the fridge and at least three months in the freezer.)
Baking, Craft and potential Christmas Gift all in one!
What You Will Need:
½ cup salt
1 cup flour
½ cup water
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to 100 degrees C.
- Mix together, salt, flour, and water until dough is formed.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface until the mixture is elastic and smooth.
- Roll out the dough to about ¼” thick with a rolling pin that has been dusted with flour.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out as many trees and stars as you want.
- Use a toothpick to make a hole toward the top of the shape (make sure it is big enough for the ribbon)
- Place all shapes onto an ungreased cookie sheet and place into the preheated oven.
- Bake for 2 hours.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Paint the trees green and the stars yellow.
What You Will Need
1/3 cup bulgur
1/2 cup hot water
4 ounces lean ground beef
4 ounces hot Italian sausage
1 medium onion, very finely chopped
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat (see Tip)
Sauce & Spaghetti
4 cups prepared marinara sauce
1/2 cup slivered fresh basil leaves, or chopped fresh parsley
1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, or Romano cheese (1 ounce)
What To Do:
- Combine bulgur and water in a small bowl.
- Let stand until the bulgur is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat a rack with cooking spray and place it over a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Combine ground beef, sausage, onion, egg whites, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, breadcrumbs and the soaked bulgur in a large bowl; mix well.
- Form the mixture into 1-inch meatballs. Place the meatballs on the rack and bake for 25 minutes. Blot well with paper towel.
Sauce and Spaghetti
- Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil.
- In a separate pot, add meatballs to the sauce and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in basil (or parsley).
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain and transfer to a serving bowl. Top with the sauce and meatballs and serve with grated cheese.
As most of us can remember, when we were kids, keeping ourselves entertained by just eating wasn’t always
enough. Especially mid day when we were in the middle of our very busy and important play dates.
But fun has finally been brought to the table with a clever little invention called the Lolly ChalkMat.
Created by Grace Paik, a mother of three, the idea came about as she attempted to keep her children
entertained while eating in a string of restaurants during a home renovation.
The mats have made quite a name for themselves over the past year for more than just their ingenuity as
they are also BPA, PVC and phthalate free, as well as eco-friendly and reusable.
Lolly ChalkMats come in a variety of prints, so as not to mess up the cohesion of your home decor, with
one side printed and the other side a usable chalkboard. The mats also roll up to save space….an easily
stored art canvas that also acts as a placemat, what could be better?!
I Choose You is a fun little book full of charming creatures for little ones. The cute illustrations, from the
Lisa Jones Studio, show different animals, ranging from a worm to a whale, up to a bit of sillyness
described in rhyme.
The simple, stylish and sweet book is great to read, especially with children that are just learning animal
noises and names plus it is a great size for a little ones stocking.
The book is £5.99 from Silver Jungle, which sells books about animals for animals, with each sale supporting
a conservation project. £1.00 of this books price goes to CERCOPAN to help protect monkeys in the wild, but
only if you buy directly from this website.