Often had the aim but not the time to make your own bread for the family? Try this recipe taken from mother and
chef, Ursula Ferrigno’s bread book. The bread is super-easy for kids to make, quick, healthy and of course yummy.
A great match with some nice warm soup.
What You Will Need:
225g (8oz) Plain flour
225g (8oz) Wholemeal flour
1tsp fine sea salt
2tsp bicarbonate of soda
2tsp cream of tartar
45g (1,5oz) unsalted butter, softened and diced.
1tsp caster sugar
350-375ml (12-13fl oz) buttermilk
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5 and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Sift the flours, salt bicarbonate of soda, and cream of tartar into a large bowl.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Mix in enough of the buttermilk to make a soft dough. Do not overwork the dough – it makes the bread heavy.
- Shape the dough into a round and place it on the baking sheet.
- Using the handle of a wooden spoon dipped in flour, make a deep cross in the dough.
- Dust the bread lightly with wholemeal flour and bake it in the middle of the oven for 30-40 minutes until it has risen and the base sounds hollow when tapped with your fingertips.
- Cool it on a wire rack.