What You Will Need:
1.5 cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound powdered sugar
5 tablespoons meringue powder or 1/4 cup pasteurized egg whites
2 tablespoons water
food colouring (optional)
What To Do:
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius
- Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter.
- Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.
- Combine powdered sugar and meringue powder or egg whites in a mixing bowl and beat on low speed.
- Add water drop by drop. (Do not let the mixture get runny)
- Beat until the mixture holds a trail on the surface for five seconds when you raise the mixer from the bowl.
- If you like, you can tint the icing with a few drops of food colouring.